Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tips #2: The Sun Fade Issue with Kindle 2

  • What's the sun fade issue?
    One of the great advertised features of the Kindle is the ability to be able to lug your library around & read anywhere you want. However, some users (myself included) have suffered the sun fade issue - that is, the moment sunlight hits it and you turn the page, the words fade out completely, as though the screen has bleached.

    If you don't read outside in the sun, you might not care, but keep in mind this can also happen with sunlight streaming through a car window - so if you have any long journeys planned & imagine yourself reading your way through the interstate, you might be disappointed.

    As an aside, this can be avoided. My first Kindle had a terrible sun fade issue but my replacement isn't so bad. If I am reading in bright sunlight, I simply tilt the screen away from the sun as I click Next Page.

  • How do I check my Kindle?
    I'd recommend in the first 30 days of getting your Kindle, take it outside on a bright sunny day. Cloud cover ruins the test, so be in bright sunshine. Open up any page of a book and click "Next page" a few times. Does the screen fade? If so, you might want to get a replacement.

  • Is my screen ruined forever?
    No. Once you get back into the shade, click ALT+G to refresh the screen for it to return to normal.

  • Can I get a replacement?
    Amazon are very good at replacing faulty Kindles. Call Customer Service 1-866-321-8851 and explain the problem. They send a replacement out immediately.
    On the off-chance that you get a rep who hasn't heard of sun fade & tries to fob you off, don't take no for an answer!
Kindle Support


View more Tips & Tricks

No comments :

Post a Comment